The Fountain Theatre is pleased to announce that it has received six 2014 Ovation Award nominations, including in the prestigious categories of Best Season and Best Production of a Play. Fountain productions eligible for the 2013-14 Ovation voting season were our riveting revival of The Normal Heart, and our acclaimed Los Angeles premieres of My Name is Asher Lev and The Brothers Size. The Ovation Awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, November 2 at 7pm at the historic San Gabriel Mission Playhouse in San Gabriel.
Often hailed as LA’s version of the Tony Awards, the peer-judged Ovation Awards recognize excellence in theatrical performance, production and design in the Greater Los Angeles area. For the 2013-2014 voting season, there are a grand total of 195 nominations for 78 productions, presented by 49 companies. There were 318 total productions registered from 137 companies.
The LA Times has referred to the Ovation Awards as the “highest-profile contest for local theatre.”
The Fountain Theatre has been honored with the following 2014 Ovation Award nominations:
- Best Season – The Normal Heart, My Name is Asher Lev, The Brothers Size
- Best Production of a Play – My Name is Asher Lev
- Best Lead Actress in a Play – Anna Khaja, My Name is Asher Lev
- Best Acting Ensemble for a Play – Jason Karasev, Anna Khaja, Joel Polis, My Name is Asher Lev
- Best Acting Ensemble for a Play – Gilbert Glenn Brown, Matthew Hancock, Theodore Perkins, The Brothers Size
- Best Choreography – Ameenah Kaplan, The Brothers Size
The preeminent Best Season category honors a company’s overall excellence throughout an entire season. Over the years, The Fountain has dominated the Best Season nominations category. This year now marks the 5th time that The Fountain Theatre has been nominated for Best Season since the category was created 6 years ago, winning the award in 2011. The Fountain has also won the Ovation Award for Best Production of a Play 5 times.
For a full list of all the nominees click here.